CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rounding and Other Stuff

Rounding and Other Stuff

I know I haven’t blogged in a while. But things have been hectic at school and home but more about that in a minute. Right now I am working on lesson plans for rounding for third graders. I have taught rounding in second grade but not in depth. In third we are hitting the rounding unit hard this week! I have a few chants, rhymes, and songs I have found either through my wonderful coworkers or online. I also found an idea of making either a number line or poster boards with numbers on them (starting with the 10’s). Then have the students get an index card and stand between the two 10’s their number comes between. Then have them hop to the 10 they are closer to. I figured this would engage my kinesthetic learners. I am looking for more ideas. If you have any please leave me a comment. I searched TPT and teacher’s notebook but couldn’t find anything. I would love some different activities including some kind of art or bulletin board activity. I KNOW you all have some great ideas please share with this “new to third” grade teacher! Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!
Our house has been falling to pieces the past few weeks. We have had no AC for almost 2 weeks now. The part has been ordered and is being shipped. We have all the windows open and a BUNCH of fans going. But this has caused the house to feel sticky and humid (it has been rainy the past 3 days and it is very moist outside). Now the bugs are coming in. AHHH!!! Our newest issue is that our freezer/refrigerator has quit as of Thursday night. So ALL the food in it had to go. Now we are living from a cooler to have cold drinks and eating out for every meal. They are supposed to come look at it Monday (tomorrow) and HOPEFULLY it won’t take a WEEK for the part to get it. I am crossing my fingers that it will be fixed on the spot.
School has been hectic with paperwork, new paperwork, and more paperwork. We are starting RTI and I am chair of the SAT committee so I am in charge of meeting, preparing the paperwork, and getting intervention strategies for EACH child that is struggling in grades K-2. It is a bit overwhelming. I have been doing it for 3 years but this year I have lost some of my team members so more of it is on me.
I would love to be creating cute ideas for these units I am teaching but I just don’t have the time. So I am searching your wonderful blogs and looking for your wonderful ideas!!

I am also preparing units on the Earth and Sun, Johnny Appleseed, and shortly line plots. If you have any ideas or resources on these I would love to hear them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Megan

Gotta love rounding...some kids just DON'T get it!! I like using Ant Hill Rounding (google search it - it's on LearnNC.org). Also, there is a song called Slip to the Side by Joe Crone that I have always used. The music is no longer posted but you can find the words and a song sample on his website.

Hope these help!
Blackboard and Beyond

Alysia Battista

Check out Shelley Gray's mental math unit on Teachers Pay Teachers. We're rounding in math now too!

Miss B, Busy Bee

Post a Comment